Saturday, 2 November 2013

From doily to flower


Have you ever wondered how you could use paper lace doilies for your craft projects? What about using them to create a flower? This is exactly what I did for the card above, which I created with Dovecraft Back to Basics Monochrome products.

I used one paper lace doily as base. For the additional layers I cut away the centres of doilies, cut open the then achieved doily rings and arranged and rushed the lace strips on the base doily with generous amounts of tacky glue whilst moving further and further into the centre with each layer. A fabric brad is ideal for the centre of the flower - the size is perfect, it has a lovely texture and it hides the edges of the final layer as well as any traces of adhesive that secures the last lace strip. But you might want to protect your work surface with a craft sheet or glass cutting mat, as the tacky glue will really soak into the material.

The pierced holes in the layers are created by hand, but I like to use a Tim Holtz idea-ology ruler for evenly spacing.

If you are interested in re-creating this card, you can find instructions in my Trimcraft gallery. Please just respect my intellectual rights for this card design.

14 comments:

Alizabethy said...

a very classy looking card!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heike this is gorgeous never thought of using a doily that way stunning, may pop along and have a look at your tutorial a bit later. Love Alison xx

Lorna said...

Fabulous card, love the colours and detail ,very elegant

Lorna xx

julie_woolston said...

Beautiful card Heike, very effective.
Hugs Julie xxx

crafty-stamper said...

gorgeous card and great use of doilys-great idea
carol x

Carol S. said...

Hi Heike, Great use for all those doilies we all have! Brilliant card. Hugs, Carol S.xx

applejack cards by sue said...

Hiya Heike, you really have a great way with doilies...they look fantastic! Loving the monochrome.

Dips said...

Great idea, Heike, and I like both your Monochrome Chrismtas Cards (great minds thinking alike again as I posted a Silver, Black and White card last week!).

Unknown said...

That's gorgeous Heike, what a great idea to use those lovely doilies. Your flower is fab-u-lous! Hope you are having a good weekend. Maddy x

Donna Mosley said...

Gorgeous card Heike, what a fab idea.

Donna x

ALI said...

Lovely card and great use of the doily.

sparklingblackrose said...

Very very pretty, I love it! Have a lovely week :-) Elaine-xxx-

Jewelsmae said...

Lovely use of your doilies, pretty card

MissyG said...

What a great card - love the way you have used the doiley to make a flower
Linda x